"What works best in education?"
You've probably asked this question for a long time. You know it's time to stop reinventing the wheel with teaching fads and anecdotes. You also know that teaching strategies based on cognitive science dramatically improve learning.
That's why we are proud to announce our forthcoming book:
Pooja K. Agarwal, Ph.D. & Patrice M. Bain, Ed.S.
(Jossey-Bass, Spring 2019)
To unleash the science of learning, insights from a scientist AND a teacher are critical. In Powerful Teaching, we combine Pooja's scientific expertise with Patrice's classroom expertise to decipher research, illustrate powerful strategies, and empower educators to transform teaching and learning.
Powerful Teaching will be available Spring 2019, published by Jossey-Bass. Stay tuned for more information in the coming months and thank you for your commitment to unleashing the science of learning in your classroom!
Written by Pooja K. Agarwal, Ph.D. and Patrice M. Bain, Ed.S., the book Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning (Jossey-Bass, Spring 2019) is the culmination of a 15-year collaboration by a scientist and a classroom teacher to understand what's most effective for student learning.
As we mentioned last week, Pooja and Patrice entered uncharted territory in 2006 when Patrice became the first classroom teacher involved in cognitive science research and Pooja became the first cognitive scientist to conduct research on learning in authentic K-12 classrooms.
Over the years, Pooja and Patrice have published a review of their research, co-facilitated professional development around the U.S., and been featured in the New York Times, NOVA, books, podcasts, and blogs.
Unleash the science of learning with Pooja and Patrice in Powerful Teaching, available this spring (and have fun with the alliteration, too!).
In anticipation of Powerful Teaching, here are a few quick facts about Pooja:
- Received her Ph.D. at Washington University in St. Louis in 2011
- Currently an Assistant Professor at the Berklee College of Music
(and loves teaching psychology and neuroscience to musicians!)
- Held positions in education policy at the U.S. Department of Education, Illinois Board of Education, and the College Board
- Lived in the Midwest most of her life and now lives in Boston, MA
- Enjoys time with her beagle Briscoe (tweet if you retrieve the reference!)
Quick Facts About Patrice M. Bain, Ed.S.
And here are a few quick facts about Patrice:
- Received her Education Specialist degree at Southern Illinois University in 2007
- Second author (and the only K-12 teacher) of the IES Practice Guide: Organizing Instruction and Study to Improve Student Learning
- Lived in 5 states (including Hawaii) and traveled to all 50 U.S. states
- Enjoys time with her chihuahua Lady, opera, and snorkeling