Retrieval practice is the best thing since sliced bread.
We think so (and we love bread!). This week, read on for the top 5 reasons we love retrieval practice.
Why do you love retrieval practice? Let us know in this week's super quick "retrieval practice about retrieval practice." Share the love on Twitter and Facebook, too.
Why We Love Retrieval Practice
Why do we love retrieval practice? Let us count the ways...
- It's free. Yes, free. There are many great technology websites, tools, and apps that work well (follow us on Twitter for recommendations), but old fashioned paper and pencil are perfect!
- It's not new. Retrieval practice is a learning strategy that's been around for centuries, including research dating back to the early 1900's.
- It doesn't require much time. Retrieval practice is powerful in a minute or less and any time you set aside for retrieval is time well spent.
- It's flexible. From preschool through medical school, and biology to sign language, retrieval practice transforms student learning for a variety of ages and content areas. It improves basic knowledge, but also higher order learning and transfer of knowledge. (Exciting announcement about this one soon!)
- It's foundational. Retrieval practice provides the foundation for effective learning, and additional strategies including spacing, interleaving, and feedback can be combined with retrieval to boost learning even more. We'll toast to that!
These are our reasons why we love retrieval practice and why we use it in our instruction. What about yours? Did we leave something out? Is there one reason that drives retrieval practice in your classroom? Check out our "retrieval practice about retrieval practice" and share your knowledge with others!